Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

So here's the thing....

At the risk of sounding like a grouch - what with it being so close to Christmas and all - I have to say I'm getting just a little sick of hearing how40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40, and so on. If you believe everything in the self-help section, life for the boomers is just getting better and better - we're not growing old, we're growing fitter, and richer, and having more sex.

It's time, I think, for a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek look at the boomers by one of their own. I try not to complain about getting older - I mean, consider the alternative, right? But, as Leonard Cohen so aptly put it, “I ache in the places where I used to play.”

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, most of us aren't as rich as we thought we'd be - well, who is? But still, didn't those old Freedom 55 ads make you think you'd at least own a sailboat by now? Even if, like me, you're terrified of the open sea??

And what about those of us who are still supporting our (practically) grown-up kids? Come to think of it, there's almost no way to talk about these things without sounding like a whiner - but I'll try.

I'm a writer, editor and former journalist, and my latest project is 60 IS THE NEW 20: A boomer's guide to aging with grace, dignity, and what's left of your self-respect. If you've seen my online columns on CBC.ca you'll have read excerpts from the book already. The plan is to publish it in the Spring of 2011 - each week I'll post a chapter here and on my website: http://www.margietaylor.com/ (I'll let you know once I get it up and running).

I'm also planning to create podcasts of these chapters, which will also be available on the margietaylor.com website. So, have a read, have a listen, and get back to me - pro or con, it's all good.

And if it isn’t, there’s always chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A former CBC Radio host and producer, Margie has lived and worked in Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, Toronto, ON, and London, England. In her years with the CBC, she hosted and produced regional and national radio programs (“Morningside”, “Sunday Morning”, “Gabereau”), wrote a syndicated parenting column and appeared regularly on arts and entertainment programs across the country. Her articles have appeared in The Globe and Mail, the Calgary Herald and Active Adult, and she’s the author of two novels: Displaced Persons (NeWest Publishing: 2004) and Some of Skippy’s Blues (Robert Davies Publishing: 1997). In 2006 she went back to school (University of Guelph) to get her Master’s degree in Capacity Development and Extension, focusing on facilitation and conflict management. Currently, she and her husband live in Guelph, ON, where she continues to write fiction and is at work on a non-fiction book, 60 IS THE NEW 20: A Boomer’s Guide to Aging with Grace, Dignity, and What’s Left of Your Self-Respect.